During our recent Soup, Sip & Bread Festival on the 1st weekend in June, we came across @HeleenMills and her delightful green soup that she tweeted. We naturally had to share, so got in touch and she was more than willing to share her recipe. Follow this 'marketing planner by day, dreamer by night' on twitter - maybe she will post more foodie treats!
Heleen on her recipe: 'This soup was made according to Paleo guidelines. The soup was absolutely exquisite and…oh so super healthy! The following night, I added some bacon bits to the leftover soup and it was just another level of dreamy!'
* What are Paleo Guidelines? http://www.everydiet.org/diet/paleo-diet
* For non-Paleo soup, regular iodized salt can be used and the water may be replaced with chicken stock. The coconut milk can also be replaced with cream.
- 1kg Zucchini
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Approximately a cup of loosely packed basil (I bought those 80g packets at Woolies)
- Coarse sea salt / rock salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A "teensy" bit of Coconut Milk
- Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot and sauté the onion and garlic until tender.
- Add the sliced/diced/chopped zucchini and sauté for another minute.
- Pour in water just enough to cover the zucchini. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are fork tender (15 minutes).
- Add the basil and puree the soup. (I use a nifty hand blender for this)
- Add a generous dosage of extra virgin olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle a spoonful (and a bit) of coconut milk over the soup!